Friday, June 25, 2010

A bumpy road to Carnegie Hall

A bumpy road to Carnegie Hall - The Irish Times - Fri, Jun 25, 2010: "I’M BACK on the flute. It’s one of those things that happens without reason or intent. I was at a barbeque on Saturday and there was a woman from Jamaica who sang a Whitney Houston song, and it took my breath away, and then she turned to me and asked me to sing. And before I could stop myself, I blurted out that I had a flute in the Jeep, and she said “bring it out” and I thought it would be wonderful to serenade her with a few slow Irish airs.

“Of course I will,” says I, and I headed for the Jeep.

The thing is, I haven’t been playing for a few years. My old black wooden flute has been gathering dust on the mantelpiece and a lot of practice would be required before I’d have the neck to play in public. But my infatuation with the Jamaican woman wiped out all reason."

No comments: