Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Leslie Ann Harrison: from Cape to Ireland

Sunrise at Cape ElizabethImage by brentdanley via Flickr
"Cape Elizabeth native Leslie Anne Harrison plays flute for New Time Ensemble, which just released its first album, “A Year In Ireland.”
Harrison, a 2003 Cape Elizabeth High School graduate, has a Bachelor of Music degree from Ithaca College and a Master of Music degree from New York University. She currently is pursuing a Master of Arts degree in traditional Irish flute at the University of Limerick in Ireland.
Harrison has won many awards and distinctions. Besides performing in Ireland, she has performed in Italy and Peru. Last summer, she was cast as the flutist for a production of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” at Delacorte Theater in New York City’s Central Park.
New Time Ensemble’s USA tour starts next month. The group will play in Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. Dates and locations can be found at Myspace.

How did you get interested in music?
I started playing piano when I was young, then picked up the flute as well. I started studying with a flutist named Nicole Rabata. I then studied with another flutist named Carl Dimow. Carl and Nicole had tremendous influence on me. They are incredible players and dedicated teachers. I don’t know what I would have done without them."

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: